“Battle Royal” – Ralph Ellison
1. Comment on the significance of the circus imagery as used in the story. Give examples.
2. In “Battle Royal”, animal imagery is used very often. Identify the references to animals in the story (for example, “lion”, “baboon”, “bird”, “panda”, “cottonmouth”, “wolf”, “crab”, “rat”…) and discuss how they contribute to the story.
3. Why do you think there is always an emphasis on “blindness” in the story? Provide examples.
4. What could be the significance of the smoky atmosphere in the hall where the battle royal takes place?
5. How does Ellison’s story challenge the respectability of the white Southern male?
6. At the end of the story, the narrator dreams that he is at a circus with his grandfather: Why does the grandfather refuse to laugh at the clowns?
7. Comment on the following quote from the story: “To Whom It May Concern… Keep This Nigger-Boy Running”.
8. What is the significance of the grandfather’s dying speech? Why does he call himself a traitor and a spy in the enemy’s country?
9. What is Ellison’s reason for creating a dreamlike, surreal atmosphere in the protagonist’s mind?.
10. What is the significance of Booker T. Washington in the story?
11. What is the symbolic value of the battle royal?
no question 12
13. How does the story define the concept of “success”?
14. How does the story develop the theme of racial hatred
15. In what ways is the narrator naïve and trusting?
16. Why does the narrator really receive the scholarship?
17. Why do the white men display the naked blonde to the African American boys?
18. Characterize the narrator’s grandfather. What is his role in the narrative?
19. The story is told from the first person point of view. With forceful detail and lyrical immediacy, he narrator conveys numerous details that render the inhuman and psychologically violent treatment that he and other boys are receiving at the hands of the “benefactors.” But the narrator does not become angry. Why?
20. How does the fight operate as a central symbol? What does it symbolize?
Once Upon a Time” : Nadine Gortimer – South Africa
1. Describe the suburb where this family lives
2. Characterize the husband
3. Characterize the wife
4. The family members would not perceive themselves as being overtly racist. Find evidence to the contrary.
5. What symbols do you find and how do they work?
6. How and why does the family become increasingly isolated from the outside world
7. What is Gortimer’s theme here? That is, what is the central idea she is developing or the point she is making in this story.
7. Apply the story’s content and theme to Apartheid.
8. What is the ultimate effect of racism in this story?
9. Apply the story’s theme to other international problems- particularly the use of fences with razor blades.
Clients' Reviews about Our Services
Brilliant services. I ordered a 4 page essay and it was delivered in less than 24hours with every detail intact!
Aceassignment is the way to go. The writers are humble and patient with clients. I know this after using the website for about an year
My writer did a brilliant job. Not only did he/she deliver the paper on time, it was superb as my professor granted me an A without any criticism
I was running late with my assignment. I run into smartwrite.com on google, placed my order and within less than 18 hours my page essay was delivered. Thank you Aceassignment.
I've been using Aceassignment for about 2 years. My writer always delivers quality work. Mind you whenever I request for a revision it's always done ASAP and free of charge
At first, I was scared and hesitant about using this website. Didn't know if they would deliver, but they assured me they will. And for sure they did. I will definitely continue to use their service!
Easy to use website. You simply give your essay's instructions, make payment and before you known it the paper is delivered to you.
Unlike other platforms, this website is quite cheap and the quality is high. I have them manage my whole class and everything has been smooth this far.
Thanks for the excellent job. Swift and on the subject, just the way I like it. The Support team was quite nice to me, helped me with the order placing process.
They are a marvel. I love their support team, they are so polite, it’s like speaking to a butler or something. Very pleasant people and good service of course.
Thank you for the help, I took my time and ordered a 14 days long essay. It came much earlier, around 7 days after I ordered it. Oh, and it was good, of course. I like the writer who did that, will definitely use again.
What I received was great. I forgot to mention in the instructions field that I needed reference page and by default, there was 0 in the number of references. I was surprised to see a full-fledged reference page in my paper with relevant citations. Bravo!
I was bombarding him with fine tuning and he handled it professionally. Thank you I will hire again the writer
Provided exceptional essay writing help in a short period of time. I plan to work with writer on many more projects!
Awesome paper in such a short amount of time. Was in a jam with another service who didn't deliver, but my writer did the job correctly. I will use her again to do my essays for sure!
Pretty good essay writer. I only made a couple of adjustments. She caught some instructions for the essay writing assignment that I didn't even notice, including them which was a pleasant surprise. Definitely recommend.
It was a very long paper, but she followed all the instructions, and she even finished the paper 5 days before the due date. Will write an essay with her again, thanks!
Writer was timely and proficient. I had to ask for a revision, but I got it back quickly with no other issues. Would use this essay writing service again.
Paper writing was prepared and submitted prior to the completed request date, and there were changes made quickly after I requested. This paper writer was accurate with numbers.
The first time I ordered here and it was a success. I received my order on time and according to my instructions, the professor gave me. The two points they claim to excel in are true. Thank you!
When I first discovered this website I was hesitant on whether they will deliver a plag free paper. The support team reassured me of their plagiarism policy. In deed they kept their word as the paper I got was authentic and plagiarism free.